header photo by Angela Josephine

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Hurray, you speak English!"

Last night I had English class again after some weeks away from it because of Tom being gone and our kids being sick. There were only 4 of my usual 5 or 6 who could make it last night. Some were afraid of not being able to get home because we have had a lot of snow and roads have been bad, especially out in the country.

I had prepared a monologue about cleaning my kitchen and having to wash the dishes by hand because the dishwasher broke. They looked at me like cows staring at a new barn gate at first...you know, those big eyes that know you are talking to them, just not sure what you are saying?! So, I reread it making a point to speak slower and clearer. My top student made out that I was talking about dishes and that my dishwasher was broken. Whew! The next time through someone else recognized that I mentioned wiping the stove top. So, we went through it sentence by sentence, translating a good half of it into Czech. Then, I reread it...lights, camera, action! They were so proud of themselves, they understood it! "Hurray, I said, you speak English!"I had my camera with me as I wanted to get some pictures. I remembered as we were cleaning up at 7:00 and I put my things in my backpack. So, having just learned the word "performed" because J brought in an error message from her computer that she wanted help translating, I asked them if they would perform for me and act like we were still doing class! They cheerfully obliged, as long as I send the picture to them, too!

Pray for these women, they are sweet and funny, but truly lost. They attend many different lectures and shows together, often things with a spiritual nature to them, such as learning how to do tarot cards, how to be a spirit medium, etc. They are attentive and interested and engaged when we read the Bible and discuss it, too. Pray that they would hear and receive the Truth. Thanks!

By the way, my class meets from 5:30 to 7:00 on Tuesday nights...six hours ahead of EST in the US, one hour off of GMT.

No comments: