As you can see by the pictures, this little town of a couple thousand people thoroughly enjoyed this parade put on by the children of the elementary school and nearby preschool.
I was told by my friend J, a teacher at the school, that the town had celebrated this holiday with a parade for years. Of late, the town hadn't
The children dressed up, by class, ready to perform skits, say little poems and sing. Our Rachel's class had "beaks" and were dressed as birds. They had memorized several poems having to do with birds and 3 of the students said some of them after the parade on stage in the town square.
The parade started at the elementary school with the mayor, principal of the school and chosen
At one point, we stopped and they announced that they would reenact the time from the 1700's when the townspeople had to defend themselves against the invading horde. This the 8th and
The parade route wound around until we ended up at the town square where there was a stage set up for the children to perform. The program started with the preschoolers and ended with the 9th graders. All in all, we were there about 2 1/2 hours and had a lovely time.
I plan on uploading a video clip on Facebook. I tried to place it here, but it doesn't want to work!
2 comments:
Dora thanks for the description of an unusual scene. I appreciated it and value the rich cultural heritage which it means for your children as they collect such memories.
Blessings,
Mark Overmyer
thanks! I thought it might be a tad too long. Thanks for plowing through it!
Post a Comment